Rodgers Homepage

Monday, September 10, 2012

Parent HW for M or T night - due W 091212

Parent HW - Students interview and write a short paragraph that summarizes a parent story about how social roles as defined by school, work, different generations, family or society at large was experienced and responded to that allowed the parent to overcome the limitations of the social role. Ultimately related how this changed the parent's life.

For example - Mr. Rodgers Pinewood Derby story as related in class - summary. (The assignment requires a summary of about 4 -5 sentences).

Our Cub Scout Pack was to have a Pinewood Derby contest, which allowed each cub scout to compete in racing home made handheld cars down ramps against other Pack members. Each Cub Scout was given a block of wood, four nails, four wheels and a sheet with directions and rules for its construction and for racing. The Den Leader (a parent) and his son, Derek, introduced how to make the car. We all went home and two weeks later we met to race with the members of our den. When we arrived, the quality of the cars varied considerably, mine was "assembled" with a saw, a file, sandpaper, a little green paint and a number of nails used to reach the maximum weight allowed for the car. Our Den Leader's son's car was incredible, but it obviously had some Dad help in the perfect shape, the paint job and even how to drill the right holes to add lead fishing weights in the bottom of the car. I, as a 9 year old boy was stunned, as were other boys whose block of wood still resembled a block of wood with the wheels nailed to its side.

The big day of the races came, and the den showed up. Derek was very sure that he would do well. I was happy to be there, but didn't expect much. As each race continued, eventually my name came over a bull horn to come to the quarter finals, then the semi finals. As a third grader, I was not sure what that all meant, but before I knew it, people were cheering for my car, surrounded by my den members. In the final race, my car won third prize for the entire pack. I was still a bit stunned. When it was over, I rode home on my bike. I was happy to know that I won, and built my own car on my own as the rules required. I was satisfied that I did very well all by myself.

I still have that unremarkable looking block of wood boxcar. "I built it myself," I must remind my wife as we try to thin out our knick-knacks from time to time.

No comments:

Post a Comment