Rodgers Homepage

Saturday, March 30, 2013

Chinatown - my homework from our tour guide, Linda Lee

In the Buddhist temple, Linda Lee had me throw a Jah Stick, an ancient fortune telling system from China. The function of such devination in some cultures is binding, in that the person receiving the reading must try to fulfill it. But for most people any reading is not much different than enjoying reading a horoscope based on your sign or the signs of your friends. These reading are entertaining or even humorous.

My reading for stick #41 can be found here

Having studied some Chinese Philosophy and Religion in college, including the I Ching, I have come to view randomly generated reading such as these as a reflective tool, not unlike journal writing, where I contemplate the realities of my current situation, how I can improve within my life, and how I can improve on my strengths and address my weaknesses in my current reality. I do not view most random readings as predictors, or as an inevitable future based on the literal message of the reading. Simply put, I take reading such as these with a healthy grain of salt.

No comments:

Post a Comment